Re: HTML or PDF?

Subject: Re: HTML or PDF?
From: "Jerry Muelver" <jerry -at- hytext -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:01:04 -0600

----- Original Message ----- A pair of fresh eyes pointed out to me that the help files we produce can be replaced by cheaper PDFs with the same functionality.

I feel reluctant because I haven't seen this approach widely used for applications in general (apart from Acrobat of course) and NMS applications in particular. The relevant R&D and Marketing people feel OK about it, but I am still reluctant. Please help!

Our help files are cross-platform, single-sourced from the user manual with some investment in the look and feel.

Thanks,
Erika

PDF is the work of the Devil, inspired by the image of Sisyphus eternally rolling his rock up the hill. By no stretch of the imagination, and in no way, shape, or form, is it suitable for online help, especially in a cross-platform application. Stick with your HTML base, and you'll avoid both the rock and the hard place.

---- Jerry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com