Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?

Subject: Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:54:41 -0800

Oja, W. Kelly wrote:

First off, I would authorize only ONE membership -or- pay for a portion
for all six.
[snip]
For non-STC people, I hope you were able to control any snickers while
reading this post.

I'm as anti-STC as anyone on this list. Even so, I think that, as an employer, I would be more generous.

If everyone on the writing team were interested in joining the STC, I'd consider the cost of membership for all of them well-spent. As benefits go, the cost is small. And if socializing with other writers kept them interested in their work, the price would be worthwhile.

Given my experience of the meetings of any associations, I wouldn't expect too many on-the-job benefits, though. Occasionally, there might be one, but mostly I'd see the perq as a morale-builder.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l