Need astyle dvice for lists inside tables

Subject: Need astyle dvice for lists inside tables
From: "Judith Plummer" <jeplum -at- patriot -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:23:23 -0500

Hello Techwhirlers -

I'm back on this list after several years' absence, and I would really
appreciate help with an issue my editing group is working on currently.

In our books, we often have situations where various options for a field
value are explained within a table description. If this list were in body
text, out style would be to use bolded run-in heads, followed by a period
and then a Roman-font explanation. However, in tables we don't want to use
bold at all. However run-in heads with no special treatment don't stand out:

For example (I'm rendering this table as best I can in plain text):

__________
Field Description
_________

Secret Question The question used to identify you if you have
forgotten your password or
user ID. Valid values include:

* Mother's Maiden Name. This
lastname your mother used before she was
married.

* Childhood Pet. The name of the
dog, cat, or other pet you had as a child.
_________

I'd like to hear what styles others use in this situation. If you can't use
bold for the material before the period, then would you use italic, for
example, or how would you handle such a situation?

BTW, this is an accepted style for my doc department, and it's not going to
go away, so I'm not as concerned about whether or not there should even be a
list inside a table--they are there, and I have to deal with them as such.

Thanks! :)

Judith Plummer
Senior Technical Editor
jeplum -at- patriot -dot- net