RE: PDF Quirk

Subject: RE: PDF Quirk
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:47:34 -0500

When FrameMaker is performing the Save As PDF operation, it is unable
to dismiss *any* warning message that appears as each component file
in the book is opened. If there is an unavailable fonts warning, or an
unresolved cross-reference (or text inset) warning, or a "different version
of FrameMaker" message, FrameMaker interprets the appearance of the
message box instead of the expected document window as an inability
to open the file (which is sort of true because the file is not open until
the warning message is dismissed, which FrameMaker cannot do in this
circumstance). If you are sure that none of these warnings represent
actual problems, you can use the Open All Files in Book command (hold
down Ctrl when you pull down the File menu and you'll get the set of
"all files" commands) to open all the files manually before using the Save
As PDF command.

But personally, I'd advise you to *not* use Save As PDF. That command
simply was not implemented properly in any Windows version of FrameMaker
prior to 7.0, and even in FM7 there are some subtle pitfalls. (All of this
was extensively documented on the FrameUsers list in numerous postings
from Adobe employee and PDF guru Dov Isaacs while he was still actively
participating on that list.) The approach that has the fewest hidden
pitfalls is to print the book to file using the Adobe PDF printer driver (it
was named Acrobat Distiller in pre-6.0 versions of Acrobat and Distiller),
then distill the file to PDF (possibly using a "watched folder" for
convenience if you're using the Professional version of Acrobat 6.0 or
7.0). Using the correct Acrobat-specific printer driver is *critical* to
making consistently reliable PDFs, and the Save As PDF command
disconnects the user off from the printer driver selection by doing
it automatically (and inappropriately in pre-7 versions of FrameMaker).

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
Subject: PDF Quirk
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:20:45 -0000

Following on from the problems I had last week (thanks again to all who
helped) I've come across a quirk which I wondered if anyone else has
come across. From the problems last week I think it may have something
to do with the template but I'm not sure.
When I made my amendments to the docs and saved them and the book and
went to generate the PDF (save as PDF) I got a message that a file
couldn't be opened and PDF wasn't created.
If I open the file and save it as PDF (no problem) and then try to
create a PDF of the book I get the same message but for the next file in
the book. Opening and saving each as PDF clears the problem - I can save
the book as PDF. Just wondered if anyone has come across this behabiour
or knows WHY - eternally curious!

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l