new kid on the block (long)

Subject: new kid on the block (long)
From: J C <tech_writer_girl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:40:57 -0800 (PST)

I am the lone writer at my company. I just started a
couple months
ago so I'm still the new kid. I am also the only
female in the office (don't know if that is relevant
to my question, but thought I'd throw it in). The
previous technical writer still works here, but has
moved into QA. I didn't receive any formal training on
any products or documentation practices. I was just
kind of thrown
into the fire.

I'm running into a problem though, and I need some
advice on whether to do something about it now, or
just "roll with it" (as I'm told so often
here).

The former writer (so far) reviews all my work. This
is fine with me
because it helps me get a good idea of what they are
used to and how the company expects the documentation
to look. However anytime I try to suggest something
that I think would improve the documents I get "No, we
don't do it that way. Just keep everything the same.
No one reads the documentation so there is no need to
improve it."?
Also, I get caught up in battles between the QA guys
(who are my main
resource) and the former writer (who is now QA) on how
things should be presented and what information should
be included. Sometimes I agree with the QA guys;
sometimes I agree with the former writer. But it
doesn't matter because what I think doesn't count.
I've been told "Put this information in the document
EXACTLY like I have written it here. Do not change
anything" by QA reviewers. I guess I understand
they don't trust me because I'm new to the technology.
But then I get beat up by the former writer on how
poor the document is written. Even on the documents
I've written without the "help"? of others gets torn
apart by the former writer. And mostly he is just
changing the writing to how he likes it. Nothing is
functionally or technically wrong with the writing.
I'm happy to take edits and suggestions but
essentially I'm being paid for my superior typing and
formatting
skills.

Do I put my foot down and say I'm the writer, my call
is the
last call. Or do I roll with it for a few more months
till I gain some trust and respect?

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Again, I realize I'm the new kid so I don't have a lot
of clout. But I am hoping that I'll get to run my
department of one (me!) at some point. I'd love to put
in some processes and improve the documentation as
well as the review process etc. Anytime I have
mentioned this I get "processes come from the TOP not
the BOTTOM!" and "Processes take up too much time."?
Maybe this is just a different way to work than I am
used to.:)

Thanks

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com