RE: Looking for totally subjective opinions on HATs

Subject: RE: Looking for totally subjective opinions on HATs
From: "Tom Brophy" <tombrophy -at- ireland -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:48:54 +0000

Hi Gretchen,

> The point I'm trying to make, is that AIT still produces a good ROI
> because your content is stored as small reusable chunks (objects) so you
> only send the new or modified objects for translation. Add a TM tool
> into the picture, and your ROI is even greater because your new or
> modified content will often show as exact and fuzzy matches.
> The two tools complement each other.

In case some of the resident translators don't jump in ...

You may need to balance your increased ROI against your translation quality.
Translating the changed/new bits ONLY is likely to be as successful as DTPing
the changed/new bits ONLY would be :-)

You're possibly (almost certainly in the case of a loc vendor) asking one
writer to write chunks of a book without any reference to the rest of the
book which has been written by other writers. This is not impossible to do if
you work in a well-defined application area, use controlled language and have
comprehensive glossaries for both your source and target languages. The
translator can put the localized bits through her standard
Translate/Edit/Proof (TEP) cycle, but that only checks for consistency within
the chunks. You really should plan on an edit pass of the complete localized
work.

A better process would be to:
a) send everything to the translator/vendor
b) identify the changed/new bits
c) pay for the translation of the changed/new bits - a TM can help with
lowering this cost
d) pay for an edit of the changed/new bits in the context of the complete
work - a TM doesn't help lowering this cost, and your translator/vendor would
probably charge an hourly rate for the work

Cheers,
Tom

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com