Re: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are Writing Skills?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:18:02 -0800 (PST)

Gene:

As an engineer, I like the specific and the concrete.
To me hearing that structured writing, on one one
hand, is the "meat" of TWing, and other the other hand
that no body has been able to write about it yet with
any specificity is very confusing. How can something
be both fundamental and vague?

Kind of reminds of me of Systems Analysis: The number
one high-demand career field - that does not exist.

I feel kind of like the robot in the (I am aging
myself here) old "Lost In Space" TV program, who would
react to logical inconsistencies by declaring: "That
does not compute! That does not compute!"

(P.S.: As of late I have been told that the real
"meat" of TWing is retoric. But I have not started my
research on the specific, concrete steps and/or
techniques that TWs follow in being retorical yet.)

Tony Markos

It is only by dying (i.e., following the flow of data)
that we are born again (i.e., come to understand the
underlying logic of a software system). - AJ Markos

--- Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

.... that you haven't found these [structured writing]
skills documented doesn't mean that they don't exist,
it merely indicates that few or none of the successful
engineer/writers who approach a writing project as
they do any other design exercise have taken the time
to write about it.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com