RE: Departmental Budgets

Subject: RE: Departmental Budgets
From: "Taryn Light" <taryn -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:10:09 -0500

<Cathy asked,"Has anyone encountered a "tech writing" job that encompasses
three separate responsibilities, that is, technical writing, translation
preparation, and doing the department's budgeting?>

Hi Cathy,

Sorry for the delay; I had difficulty posting.

I'm new to this very interesting list and would like to offer you a few
suggestions about your departmental budget dilemma.

September of my first year as a new Tech Pubs Manager, I was challenged when
my manager asked me to give him my budget for the next year. The whole next
year! I panicked, but like the old commercial said, "Don't let 'em see you
sweat!" The good news is that I managed to survive over 20 years of budget
planning--some years (and budgets) more challenging than others.

With a few battle of the budgets won and lost behind me, here is my 30K-foot
level budget-building advice for you:

1. Get budgets for the past few years to find out the line items for your
department.
2. Ask your team to list the hardware and software in his or her office and
document it in a spreadsheet.
3. Determine if you need additional hardware (replacement or new).
4. Determine if you need additional software (upgrade or new).
5. Determine if you need additional writers, editors, course developers,
trainers, etc.
6. Ask your team to tell you what courses they would like to take.
7. Determine if you want a line item for professional organizations such as
the Society for Technical Communication (STC).
8. Determine if you want a line item to visit customers or go to the STC
Annual Conference.
9. Find a localization vendor who will take a lot of the localization
problems off your back.
10. Find a localization vendor who will work with you to reduce translation
expenses.

Think of your task like making a budget to go on a trip. First you ask
others who have "been there" to give you travel, accommodations, and other
expense information. Then you think about what you would like to bring (and
buy!). Suddenly, you have a To Do List with a dollar amount next to each
item.

Like Geoff Hart wisely advised you, "For each category you create, find out
who affects expenses in that category and ask them if they expect any
surprises in the new-year." Please make this #11 above.

My first year's budget was extremely accurate and I was proud of my numbers.
Then my manager reviewed my budget and cut training. Training! How could
he possibly cut training? (Some people say they could hear me growling
under my breath for days after I found out he cut training!) I figure if
you go down an alley and a dog bites you, you don't go down that alley again
without being prepared. So the next year rolled around and I ever so gently
padded as much as possible anticipating budget cuts. I even put in a line
item for a hot tub! (It was denied.) That was my way of allowing my
manager to cut a line item!

How do you manage completing an overwhelming task? It's like asking, "How
do you eat an elephant?" Answer: one bite at a time!

I hope that this information is useful. My employer is a localization
vendor that is well known for reducing localization costs so let me know if
#9 or #10 might be a problem for you and I will see if we can come up with
something to help you.

Good luck!

Taryn Light
STC Past President, Boston Chapter
ABREVE Program Manager
ArchiText Inc.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com