RE: [SPAM] - Re: Has anyone ever hired a designer to do their personal company site? - Bayesian Filter detected spam

Subject: RE: [SPAM] - Re: Has anyone ever hired a designer to do their personal company site? - Bayesian Filter detected spam
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:45:57 -0600

Chris suggests:

> You can register a domain and web host for your site for less than
> $50/year, and there are freeware applications available for web design....

If I can add to this, the company that I used to set up my wife's hosting charges me $99 a year for hosting, registering the domain, LOTS of bandwidth, unlimited email addresses, free tools such as a shopping cart, etc.

Most importantly, though, is they offer a very decent utility for creating/designing a web site (for those who don't want to do it themselves). The resulting site is polished and professional.

Whichever company you end up having host your site, check to see if they have such an offering. It's worth it.

One note, though, you should check that you will own the domain name. Some of the less expensive hosts will register your site, but they own it, not you. That's no big deal unless you decide to switch hosts and can't.

As for the rest of the branding, see if you can trade services or even hire a student. If your budget is tight, a college student in Fine Arts may be able to produce something for you quite inexpensively, and may even be able to get credit for it. It won't (or shouldn't be) free, but not too much. Of course, as a tech writer-type person, you should be able to add the logo to a letterhead and biz card tempalte.

Just a thought

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 (o)
Technical Writer | 866.741.2677 (f)
Printable Technologies, inc. | www.printable.com

"The hard part about being a bartender is figuring
out who is drunk and who is just stupid."
- Richard Braunstein

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com