Re: Use of "and/or"

Subject: Re: Use of "and/or"
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:18:47 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:
> The main purpose of "and/or" is not to cover multiple situations In
> almost any situation where people are tempted to use "and/or," the
> context implies multiple situations, and the construction is not needed
> for the purposes of conveying meaning.
>
> The real purpose of "and/or" is to sound more scientific or official.

That's exactly right. Its *sole* purpose is rhetorical. Sometimes you
want to give an 'official' impression, or imply that the content is
thoroughly considered and immutable. Where you don't (which is
usually), cut it.

[NB: 'and/or' signals sentence-construction problems.]

Know what readers think when they hit 'and/or'? "Oh, Jesus. Here we
go. It's gonna be one of those." Perhaps they're suitably impressed at
the same time, but they're also put-off.

Good luck cutting it as often as it should be, though. The folks who
feed it to you are in love with it. One of those constant struggles
that you can't always win and sometimes shouldn't try to.

I mean, there's a majority population that thinks there's a plural noun
pronounced "process-eez" (like "processed cheese"), as though "process"
were Greek-derived, like "index" or "crisis". But it's not (processis?
processex?). Doesn't matter though, because too many folks are fond of
the "process-eez" affectation. You'll never win. At least it's spelled
correctly, regardless.

When they really get rolling, you'll learn that a "crisis" is never
singular. All problems are "crises" ("cry-seize"). In fact, a real pro
is never faced with problems, only dilemmas (whether or not there's a
choice between two unfavorable options) or conundrums (when you're
really important, all is conjecture).

Kill 'and/or' whenever you can, but don't go to the mats against it in
the workplace. Egos are afoot.

LQ

--
Lou Quillio

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com