Re: it BETTER be Friday [RANT]

Subject: Re: it BETTER be Friday [RANT]
From: Kelley <writinglists -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:07:36 -0500

At 05:31 PM 3/18/2005, Bill Swallow wrote:

"You're not going to put screen
> shots in? I hate screen shots."
>
> Um, yeah, I'm putting screen shots in. It's not for you. It's for the
> users! Ugh. At least it's Friday.

:)
I'm sure you use them judiciously, though, but I'll tell you, back in the day, I used to detest screen shots because the person doing the screenshot had a different desktop than I. My screen didn't usually look like their's -- maybe because they were using a Mac, who knows, it was long ago when this was an issue for me. But, given the way my mind works, it would bug the living daylights out of me, completely distracting me because I'd want to know _why_ it was different in terms of "look and feel". As an educated super-user now, this isn't an issue, but it was when I was more like your ordinary user.

I don't know the research, is there any on the effectiveness of screenshots in help systems. There must be, but I'm too lazy -- 'coz I'm pretending it's Friday. Maybe together, we can make it so?

Kelley

http://www.inkworkswell.com

"The problem with defending the purity of the
English language is that English is about as
pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other
languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious
and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

--James D. Nicoll

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com