RE: Purpose Driven Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Purpose Driven Technical Writing
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:45:26 -0800

Funny this came up - I just sat in an interview yesterday (Yes, I have a new
job, a REAL job with real company I don't own and thus far, I love it. It's
the rare job that's perfect for me).

With my boss and another writer, we interviewed a senior writer yesterday.
We asked questions about managing in a frenetic environment, dealing with
difficult people, document plans, complex technology, and tools. We didn't
ask what method she used to design documentation, we didn't care. We did ask
how she went about WRITING quality docs and how she had worked with
localization in the past.

We asked questions to see how she would fit in our work environment and the
telling answer she gave was to explain how she liked to work but she can
easily adjust to how we work in our environment. In other words, she was a
team player who is happy to adjust to us. We're offering her the job.

We don't care if she's unique, we care that she's a strong writer who will
work as a team member to plan her docs and meet our deadlines.

But perhaps I need more coffee.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting