Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing
From: slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:20:20 -0700

Al said:
> This is not to say that I agree with any of Tony's DFD arguments.
> I agree with Oja that they appear to be nothing more than a new
> name for a flow chart...

The difference is that a traditional flow chart in the software
world shows the logic or flow of control in a program or system.
A DFD shows the flow of data. They might look similar (boxes and
arrows versus bubbles and arrows) but they're really used for
different things at different times.

It's an important distinction, at least to the Structured Analysis
and Design folks.

Regards

Stuart "loosely cohesive" Burnfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l