Ratio of "manuscript" pages to "book" pages

Subject: Ratio of "manuscript" pages to "book" pages
From: JayHonig -at- kukae -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:01:20 -0700

Hello,

I'm a fairly new technical writer and I am in negotiation with a client
for an industrial training manual. The client knows that I am new to
technical writing but also knows that I have experience with the topic, a
technical degree and several years experience writing for general interest
magazines.

When payrate was verbally discussed, they said "$xx per page" but when the
written contract appeared, it said "Publisher agrees to pay Writer $xx per
finished page, two finished manuscript pages usually being said to
constitute one finished book page."

I replied that I thought the terms were unclear (I've replaced the pay
digits with xx) and would I be paid $xx per manuscript page or book page.

They are saying per book page.

Is this a common industry term or practice? The publisher is very well
known. Right now, I am thinking them to be some combination of sloppy and
sneaky.

Thank you,

Jay

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l