Re: Taking Credit

Subject: Re: Taking Credit
From: Lou Quillio <quillio -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:01:39 -0500

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:11:39 -0500, Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> I didn't produce it... my company did. They just paid me to get it done.

Amen. Agree completely. Learn it, know it, live it.

> But corporate policy *is* a reason not to do it, and I strongly
> suggest that anyone who wants to slap their John or Jane Doe to the
> manual first consult their Legal department before committing the act
> to press.

I suggest they get an ego that can tread water or cross the street
alone. Written words, like sex, are not a scarce resource. Your
employer bought your by-line. Didn't know it or don't like it? Write
a novel. Write something else off the clock -- or do you have nothing
more, for your own account? That's a personal problem, and guess
what: nobody'd want to read what you *have* written in support of
your employer's product If That Product Didn't Exist. Whomever
authoritatively owns this topical space, it ain't you.

Being less than diplomatic for once, I'd say it's absolutely gay
(read: narcissistic) to insist that TWR work for hire acknowledge
little ol' third-party you. I hear so much TWR "get no respect"
belly-aching. Go get all you want, who's stopping you? If you think
your employer has invested in your literary ambitions, you need to get
a grip.

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com