You get what you deserve (was: Taking Credit)

Subject: You get what you deserve (was: Taking Credit)
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:07:49 -0600

> -----Beth Agnew wrote:-----
>
> Perhaps I am fortunate never to have experienced those negative side
> effects. For every instance I am aware of where writers had
> their names in
> the documentation, the outcomes were only positive. Putting
> one's name on
> something should be a stamp of quality. It's also appropriate
> to get the
> credit you deserve for the work you have done.

I have to share something funny that Beth's statements above made me think of. At a previous employer, my boss fancied himself a wonderful book designer, writer, and editor. Because my editorial coworker and I had previously torn apart things he had given us to proofread, we were not allowed to see a particular book until the final, hard-bound copies came back from the printer. He was quite proud of his creation and showed it to us with a smug sneer.

The book was a typographical and editorial nightmare. After flipping through it in mute horror for a while, we came across the introductory page with an opening statement from the editor (our boss). At the bottom was his name, displayed prominently. At the top, in large, bold type was the word "Forward." With large smiles, we gave the book back to him and congratulated him on his work. It was definitely his stamp of quality.

Happy Monday!

Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com