Generic and device specific docs

Subject: Generic and device specific docs
From: J C <tech_writer_girl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:59:21 -0800 (PST)

Here?s the situation:

We have a software product ?Device Software?. Device
Software can be installed on about 25 different
brands/types of devices. The install and use is pretty
much the same no matter what device. But there are
some differences (screenshots, menus on the device
etc) because each device is a little different.

Documentation. Currently there is a different Device
Software manual for each type of device. Boss wants to
go to a Generic Device Software doc and then do a
?device-specific something? for the devices. Generic
Device Software doc and this ?something? would ship
with each specific device.

What do you think those ?somethings? could/should be?
Appendices within the Generic Device Software doc?
Quick Start Guides? Whitepapers? (They call anything
that isn?t a manual or a quick start a whitepaper,
just so you know. I don't know if I can convince them
different. Pick my battles, right?)

Do any of you have similar document situations? How do
you handle it?

Thanks!

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com