RE: (long) Technical Writing - What's the catch?

Subject: RE: (long) Technical Writing - What's the catch?
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:29:10 -0500

I have seen quite a few technical writers move into marketing
communications, which often has much higher visibility and more
opportunities to move up the corporate ladder. (Might depend on the
industry.) Usability seems like a logical transition, as does QA.

Personally, I am happy where I am at. My forays into management have not
been particularly enjoyable; I like getting my teeth into a project, not
delegating it. I wonder how much of the lack of advancement is because
others don't really see a need to "move up", and if they do, they get out of
tech writing?

Barb