Re: Academic Research in TechComm

Subject: Re: Academic Research in TechComm
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:48:27 -0600

There are times in which the connection between doc quality and ROI
are relatively clear.

For example, when two products seem on the surface to be extremely
similar, when one has superior documentation it can become a
differentiating factor in selling the product. For example, some years
ago there was a survey of customers done by Texas Instruments here in
Dallas. The customers for their components were asked why they chose
TI over the competition. The number one answer: because the
documentation was so complete and so clear it was easier to use these
components in new designs than those of the competitors.

(Needless to say, Tech Pubs was riding high for *at least* a year afterwards!)

This is why I try to create docs that sales types want to use as
collateral...clear, attractive, and easy to find answers to the
questions of prospects as well as of users.

Next, those shops that track tech support activities properly often
can see a positive effect upon the bottom line as the documentation
incorporates the most common problems and their resolution. Of course,
that implies that tech writers and support folks both communicate and
track the issues raised by customers. The more the tech support people
can resolve problems by pointing to a specific part of the docs...and
get off the line to move on to the next customer...the better for the
company's bottom line.

Unfortunately, quantitative measurements of this kind of advantage are
not often enough done.

In my view, it should always be a consideration in any project to ask
"How does what I am doing contribute to the bottom line?" When I make
a suggestion to management, I try to always couch it as an answer to
that question. Management generally is quite relieved that we are
speaking the same language!

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com