Re: who is a native speaker was RE: Displays vs. Appears

Subject: Re: who is a native speaker was RE: Displays vs. Appears
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:45:18 -0500

Elizabeth O'Shea wrote:

Dick wrote:

By the way, your English passes muster in the US just fine. If you have lived your entire life in India, that is not apparent from your writing style.

Sorry, folks. Can't let this slide anymore. Quite a lot of people that were
born and live in India, and are ethnically Indian, are actually native
speakers of English.

Yes. However, that wasn't the OP's issue. He indicated he wasn't a native speaker of _US English._ My only point was that his writing seemed like perfectly normal, colloquial, US English to me. As was pointed out yesterday, many Indian native-English speakers write in a style that is recognizably Indian English. That led to some harsh words and a warning from Lisa. I'm merely pointing out that at least _some_ Indian tech writers have a mastery of the American dialect. That's all.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com