RE: Technical Writing with LaTeX

Subject: RE: Technical Writing with LaTeX
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:21:34 +0200

Isaac,

I agree with you - LaTeX is absolutely amazing. And free, too.

I have looked into the features and functions of most low- and high-end
programs for complex long-document typesetting the last few years and
very few of them can handle the complexity & typographic quality of
LaTeX. If they can, they usually have a high four or five digit price
figure.

If someone is interested to see what LaTeX can do, take a look at 1000+
page "The LaTeX Companion" (2nd ed.), which was entirely typeset in
LaTeX. Impressive.

Anyway, I see a few reasons why LaTeX may be neglected by technical
writers:

- Installation of new fonts is quite difficult and is not for the faint
of heart. Few people are willing to write a couple of hundred lines of
typescript to install a complete font, with small caps, old style
figures, ligatures etc. There are, however, commercial TeX systems that
automates this (e.g. Visual Tex etc).

- As long as you use the existing templates it's quite easy to work in
LaTeX, but once you want to change the design & appearance of the
document it becomes difficult. Even with easy-to-use packages it
requires some understanding of programming to get the document to look
exactly as you want it to look.

- Technical writers perhaps feel reluctant to write text that is
interspersed with (La)TeX code.

- Technical writers perhaps feel reluctant to work in a system that is
not WYSIWYG.

- Another reason (for aficionados, perhaps) may be that you can not
typeset on a grid in LaTeX (but you can in ConTeXt, which is another
macro package).

User-friendliness is, alas, not the first thing you come to think of
when you talk about (La)TeX. I think that is the most important reason
why this excellent typesetting language has not spread outside the world
of academics & enthusiasts.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager
www.flirthermography.com

Isaac Waisberg wrote:

> I find LaTeX an amazing tool and I often wonder why is it
> neglected by technical writers. The main motivation for its
> development was the need to present technical information
> clearly and beautifully. In Knuth's words, TeX is a
> ``typesetting system intended for the creation of beautiful
> books---and especially for books with a lot of mathematics.''
>
> I found very few references to LaTeX in techwr-l among them:
> ``LaTeX, a professional typesetting program, is free
> software, but, like QuarkExpress, is a poor choice for
> documents that will be frequently revised''
> (http://tinyurl.com/69nx9).
>
> Why do you think LaTeX is neglected by technical writers?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com