Exempt vs. Non-Exempt

Subject: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt
From: Shirley_Kondek -at- BalboaInsurance -dot- Com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:10:18 -0700

We're currently looking to add a couple full-time/permanent tech writers,
and I assumed that they would be classified exempt. That's been my
experience and would reflect the professional standing of the other I.T.
staff they would be working with - project managers, BSAs, programmers...

An inexperienced new boss came back from HR with new job descriptions for
Tech Writer I, II, III - and they are non-exempt.

I understand some people might like the chance to be paid for their
overtime, but I see this as a loss in the fight for professional standing
since they are now classified as office - clerical. There are also other
repercussions to the classification.

I know there was a re-evaluation of jobs done recently throughout the
company (good size company) because of the new US DOL FLSA regulations
that took effect 8/23/04. The help desk BSAs were reclassified and so
were the staff who handled security. Some BSAs were also reclassified but
the VP fought that one and won. Has anyone else run into this
reclassification issue? And if so, do you support full-time/permanent
tech writers as exempt or non-exempt?

Thanks for your input.

Shirley

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l