Re: Advice for a New Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Advice for a New Tech Writer
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 07:48:41 -0700 (PDT)

> I am a graduating soon with a degree in professiona writing. I am
> wondering if anyone has any advice about where to start out as a
> technical writer. I do have a little experience writing
> documentation, but not very much. What kind of jobs or experiences
> should I look for as someone trying to get a good start in the
> field?

Forget what tech writing experience you have...we ALL have technical
writing expereince, so that isn't a great differenciation. That's
like basing your credentials on tool knowledge...you are expected to
know the tool, now use the tool FOR something.

OTOH, what subject matter expereince do you have? Database?
Environmental? Aerospace? Manufacturing? Software development? Web
backend infrastructure? Finance? Since you are going to be writing
ABOUT something, what do you know how to write about? That's where
I'd start. Don't have anyt knowledge about any subject? Get some.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com