Re: Period/comma then close quote, or vice versa?

Subject: Re: Period/comma then close quote, or vice versa?
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:28:37 +0100

Mark,

CMS has to be right in this case, whatever US convention may be, from my UK perspective as well, "Type 'GO.'" means, type the letter G then the letter O, then a period. In 'English', of course, there'd be a period (sorry 'full stop') after the second " as well.

I've got Sun's "Read Me First", which says:
For quotes. Do not enclose verbatim commands, system messages, file names... In some cases, a reader can be misled into thinking that the quotation marks are an integral part of the text that is to be typed. Since GO is an input variable, I'd be inclined to go with Bonnie's suggestion that a different font is what would work best.

But I'm interested to know in what context in a tech manual you would be quoting speech in such a fashion?

Regards,
Ant

nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il wrote:

The Chicago Manual of Style advises that although American style puts commas and periods before closing quotation marks, in computer-related writing the sequence may be
reversed for the sake of clarity. (That is, "Type 'GO'."
instead of "Type 'GO.'" if the period isn't to be typed.)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com