RE: Industry size Technical Documentation

Subject: RE: Industry size Technical Documentation
From: "Leanne Rollins" <leannerollins -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:53:37 -0400

Interesting... I've never thought of tech writing as an industry... to be
it's always been a profession. For example, I don't consider law an
industry, nor accounting or engineering. Rather these are roles performed
within particular industries such as pharmaceutical, healthcare,
telecommunications, etc.

Regardless, I have no idea how you'd measure the number of tech writers out
there... consensus info maybe? For other professions, it's easier to
measure, specifically if the professions are certified (lawyers, using my
earlier example). Since we are a motley crew, measurement is not so simple.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not even aware if there is a growth or
decline of TW in my city, let alone overall. How about everybody else?

<snip>

Does anybody have a clue about the actual size of the technical
documentation industry? Is there a strong growth within the industry or a
decline?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com