Re: "Transparent to the User"

Subject: Re: "Transparent to the User"
From: "news.sunflower.com" <peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 21:15:17 -0700

Sorry for chiming in late:

It seemed to me the OP was describing system documentation. I would not use
'transparent to the user' in user docs, either. But in shops I've been in,
it is commonly used by technology groups to describe systems/processes of
which the user will not be aware.

Pam

"Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote in message
news:271629 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Bill Swallow wrote:
>

> > But, generally, if it does turn out to mean "the users don't need to
> > worry about how this is done" then definitely don't confuse them by
> > telling them something is transparent to them. Just say "the index is
> > created for you" if that is in fact what happens.
> >

> If this is, for example, a search index, I wouldn't mention it to the
> user at all. It may be a functional requirement--and therefore relevant
> in internal engineering docs--that the creation of the index be
> transparent (invisible) to the user. But in that case it is also likely
> that the user does not need to know of the existence of the index. The
> user just has to know how to use the search tool to find information and
> doesn't need to know that there is an index involved in the process.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com