Re: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: Re: What notebook did you buy?
From: Kate Salm <kate_salm -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 05:36:32 -0700 (PDT)

One of the best computers I have ever owned, for work
or personal use, was a Micron Transport TX1000, the
screen is big enough to not give you a headache after
staring at it for 16 hours, the color is good, the
speed is great, and i could just keep going on... I
love that computer, I got it three years ago and it
still works like new, with all the required software
and memory/space needs for typical Tech writer
programs, and managed to also have 500 songs and about
1000 pictures in addition without any affect to speed
or capabilities. I have had two problems with it- a
lightening strike that fried every computer in the
neighborhood but mine... I only had the cord fried.
the second incidient was when my cat knocked over a
very heavy glass candle holder onto the keyboard (she
was assisting me with my work...). the keyboard still
worked after that incident, but looked a little funky
until i bothered to fix it (it rippled... ). They had
it replaced in a week when I did bother sending it in.

They are a little pricier then Dell or Compaq but well
worth the money, the first Micron I had lasted 6 years
before i started having problems (and they were all
man induced... some moron took out my modem when I
went to have a nic slot inserted.... ergh!!!) and the
one prior to that lasted about five. I've heard
complaints about their tech support, but i've never
had a problem with them personally... like everyone
else they have it so that you can basically design
your own computer with specific needs in mind, and
their options are pretty decent. This is also a
computer that takes a beating and keeps running (just
ask my cat).

I use a Dell at work- to sum it up in one word- "eh".
Their tech support hung up on somebody yesterday and
got annoyed with her because she can't crawl around on
the floor to unplug stuff. i've never had serious
problems with them... but I don't get as enthusiastic
over them as I do the microns. unfortunatly i have no
choice in the matter.

Buying an Apple or Compaq is the equivilant of
throwing money down a garbage disposal (in my personal
opinion... my aplogies to those who are fans). I had
one compaq... it lasted a month and i returned it. I
spent more time fixing the blue screen of death than
doing work. this was my college days when cheap was
good... and every friend I had who had one had the
same problem... and all we ran were music programs and
word in those days. i shudder to think what it would
have done with other programs.

Just my two cents... and a thanks... i also get to
upgrade soon and this conversation is very
beneficial... lots of good advice...

Kate

From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:16:09 -0400

Carter Campbell wrote:

> My worst experience was a Compaq.
> That thing spent about 60% of the time in the repair
shop.

> My Eurocom is now five years old and is running
Linux without issue.
> have had a very good experience with it and the
company, on whole.

Avoiding Compaq (hence HP) is good advice. They
integrate the
hardware, BIOS, ACPI (power and configuration
management) and
operating system (always Windows) much too tightly.
Troubleshooting
nastier problems with them means discovering once
again that they do
things the 'Compaq' way, not the standard way. Very
cloying, and
dangerous.

I'd be tempted to classify Dell the same way, but
can't quite, and
it relates to Carter Campbell's post: a laptop
that'll run Linux
clearly isn't beholden to it's maker's assumptions
about how you'll
use it. And Dell sells systems with Linux
pre-installed.

Other advice already given is also good.

* Don't scrimp on RAM (aftermarket DIMMs are usually
cheaper).
FrameMaker will especially appreciate it. Hog.
* Invest in a screen size you can live with. You'll
regret one
that's too small for a long time. Also note the
maximum
resolution. A 17" display that's limited to
1024x768 is, well,
limited.
* Ports, ports, ports. A desktop replacement should
have plenty.
Four USB 2.0 and 1 IEEE 1394 (Firewire) is ideal.
Gigabyte
Ethernet onboard. 802.11g wireless onboard.
* Invest in an external harddrive. I have a 200GB
Seagate (USB and
Firewire) that cost $200. Wonderful product.
Create multiple
partitions or at least reserve some unpartitioned
space. It can
be a lifesaver. Automate backups to the external.
* Internal harddisks can't be upgraded easily (if at
all), and disk
technology is cheap. Price differences between
40GB, 60GB and
80GB are negligible, all other things equal. Don't
economize
here.

Keep your eye on SlickDeals.net. The folks who post
there are
always flagging gaps in manufacturers' product line
pricing, and
spotting close-outs.

If there's any way to split your internal harddrive
partition into
several *before* you're completely dependent on the
system, do it.

Get a CoolPad (http://tinyurl.com/5vyqx). Just do it.
The
full-sized one is better than the travel version, and
is very nearly
as travel-friendly.

Consider a wireless USB mouse. I love mine
(Kensington). One less
wire, and travel-friendly. But keep some extra AAA
batteries in
your backpack (you always have the touchpad, anyhow).

DVD+-RW isn't important. If the need to *write* DVDs
arises, an
external is more functional and cheaper (you've got
plenty of ports,
right?). They'll gouge you on an internal. DVDs
aren't just for
multimedia, BTW. One DVD (4.7GB) can replace nearly
seven CDs for
data backups.

DVD+-R is valuable. Movies on airplanes (or in bed).

Changing systems is a good time to make some more
changes as well.
Getting comfortable with Mozilla products (Firefox,
Thunderbird,
etc.) -- if you haven't already -- would be an
example. Switching
your email access from POP3 to the superior IMAP, or
devising a
grand, unifying automated backup scheme are others.

LQ

--
Lou Quillio

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l