RE: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: RE: What notebook did you buy?
From: DaveC <dave-univ1234 -at- mailblocks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:40:27 -0700

Some basic things to consider if looking for a computer with technical
writing specifically in mind.

Windows:
Pros:
* Large user base
* great software availability
* inexpensive hardware

Cons:
* Cheaper hardware tends to be cheaply made (high repair costs)
* Many problems are not easily fixed by the user without strong
computers skills.

Mac:
Pros:
* Good software availability, including Microsoft Office and Free
developer tools.
* Unix based
* Well made products since the hardware and software is generally
made and integrated by the same company.

-=-=-=-

Don't forget that owning a Mac also frees you up from having to forever (and frequently) download updates for your OS and your virus-protection software. (What is the average time an unprotected Windows computer is infected when plugged into the Internet? Something like 20 minutes, I think... but I don't know or care -- I use a Mac :-) )

This is just one more reason I find using a Mac is easier -- I never have to worry about my computer catching something. Just backup your HD and ... that's it.

Not wanting to start a debate, just pointing out that I find more time to think about the job and other more pleasant issues when not worrying about infection and such... The Mac is "transparent", as all good tools should be.

FYI,
Dave

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com