Re: tools and DocBook

Subject: Re: tools and DocBook
From: Bill Lawrence <lawrence -at- mayaviz -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:19:08 -0400

Sean,

You probably want to stay away from Jade as DSSSL is a dying language. The XSL tools are a little easier to use.

Bob Stayton has written a great book on using these tool chain, and you can read the online version at:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

or you can support Bob and buy a copy.
XMLMind has the whole thing bundled in a freeware package which includes a GUI. It's a nice starting place for the free tool chain.

Arbortext provides a commercial option with a formatter, as I believe does BlastRadius and Altova. By the way, I should think that the RoboHelp successor from Madcap Software will probably provide the same capability.

Have fun!

Bill

Sean Hower wrote:

This is for all of those DocBookers out there.
I searched the archives because I'm pretty sure this has been covered but I can't find anything.

I've been trying to set up a docbook tool chain on a WinXP machine and I am experiencing ..... well, difficulties. I tried following the directions in DocBook: The Definitive Guide but ran into problems at the Insalling the Modular Stylesheets step. I'm also in the process of trying to set this up following Markus Hoenicka's SGML for NT directions. I believe Jade is the culprit in both cases.

So, my questions to you are what does your tool chain look like (and what software versions are you using), what instructions did you follow to set it up, and what tweaking did you have to do in order to get up and running? If you can point me to a different tutorial that would also be great. Your solution can either be commercial or free.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l