Word: Unable to open/print a file

Subject: Word: Unable to open/print a file
From: hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:29:16 +0000

I've not been able to find anything about this, hoping someone has a clue.

A colleague is unable to open or print 3 particular Word files. (They end up in the Disabled Items list, and removing them from that list does nothing... still can't open or print, still freezes Word.)

She (sometimes) gets this (pointless) error message: The document "name" caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?" If we click Yes, file won't open, Word freezes.

I only care because if it happened once, it might happen again--and I won't be with this team forever. If it's possible to prevent it, I'd like to.

What I do know:

I am the one who created/edited/saved the files in question.

She CAN open more recent versions. (She wanted to print ready-for-prime-time versions; more recent revisions-in-process versions do exist.)

I have no problems with the files, nor does a different person.

The three of us have slightly different mixes of XP/word as follows.
Happy files: XP Pro SP1, Word 2002 SP3 or Word 2003
Sad files: XP Pro SP2, Word 2002 SP2.

Can I do anything to fix or prevent this? Or can we only make sacrifice of chocolate and coffee to appease the angry gods and hope this doesn't occur again?

If you reply to me offlist, I can summarize and post later.

Many humble thanks

----------------------hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com