Re: Definition of "User-Friendly" Was Re: Engineering design practice

Subject: Re: Definition of "User-Friendly" Was Re: Engineering design practice
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:26:59 -0700

I think it's really more a question of the specific environment in
which you're working. If you've ever worked in or observed
doc work in certain really big companies (which I'm not going
to name), there are senior/lead writers or managing editors
who define the styles and templates and the lower level writers
are required to follow them rigidly. By comparison, I think
from the posts I see here that most writers here work in much
smaller companies where they are pretty much expected to be
both grunt writer and lead/managing editor. Maybe some of
the pain some seem to suffer is an indication that some, like
the "design engineer," really don't have the ability to be both...
or maybe it's just that being both is too big a job for one person. I know I sure do miss all those DTP and illustrator support people I used to have...

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Colwell" <bob -dot- colwell -at- comcast -dot- net>

I dunno Gene. I think there's a crucial difference between the
way engineers organize themselves and the way tech writing is done.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com