Re: new to contracting, all the usual questions

Subject: Re: new to contracting, all the usual questions
From: "Phillip St. James" <saint0 -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:39:02 -0700

Hi, Rebecca -- It's great that you are getting work possibilities again.
It's been very hard for many of us for quite a while...

I would make the PC purchase if you can handle the additional software buys.
If not, stay with your Mac. I've always had both - and I've been
contracting since 1982...

I think it's much easier to have the same OS and platform for smoothly
exchanging files and continuing your work offsite at your home office.

Usually MS Office and Word are the standards for tech writers because of its
lower cost. But sometimes you'll need Adobe FrameMaker or other more pricey
text editors. Visio and RoboHELP may be needed at times as well on the PC
side.

I would also suggest that you get a USB flash memory storage device.
WalMart currently has Lexar devices at about $50 for 512 MB. This key-chain
device will help in transferring files in a snap no matter if they're Mac or
PC based. That price may be local only - you'll have to check.

Hope that helps and best wishes,

-phillip
Menlo Park, CA

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l