Re: Trouble finding work

Subject: Re: Trouble finding work
From: Dave <bhutata -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:26:43 -0700 (PDT)

I'm coming into this discussion late, but I thought
I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. I'm in a similar
situation. I've been off-contract since November. In
my area lately there's been pretty much a complete
lack of TW opportunities. Admittedly, my situation is
complicated by the fact that since my divorce I'm a
single parent and now unable to travel for work. I do
receive calls from recruiters a couple times a month
about out-of-town jobs, usually about 4 hours away,
that I simply can't accept right now. I've tried
looking for lesser jobs, pretty much anything, without
luck. Anytime I walk into a retail store or some other
place that offers sub-$10 hr wages (yes, I've gotten
that desperate), etc. looking for jobs they see my
education (almost done with my TW masters) and prior
wages and they hire someone they feel will be more
stable in the simple job they have to offer. The
market in Missouri, at least aside from St. Louis,
seems pretty much dead. I realixe I may well have to
move, but I need to let my kids at least finish the
school year. I just need to figure how to hold on at
least that long. I'd really like to be able to stay in
this area several more months so I can get in my last
couple classes to finish my M.A.

>I've been unemployed since December, and although
>I've diligently looked
>for a job, nothing has come up. I don't even hear
>back from employers when
>I send them my resume. And if I do, their rates are
>ridiculously low. Is
>anyone else experiencing the same thing? I'm
>wondering if this is just my
>experience or the state of the market in general.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com