Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT

Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:04:38 -0400

Bill Swallow wrote:

Right. I'll go to my CTO right now and tell him that we need to flush
our $XX million investment in Microsoft technology down the toilet
immediately and spend the next year installing Linux on every machine
in the joint and look for Open Source alternatives to all our
applications. ;-)

Bad idea ;). But don't you agree, sportsfan, that defending an MS solution investment is a parochial concern? Nobody knew or could be sure, back when, that today's 'open' options would be real and reliable. There's no blame to be dished. I just wish that orgs (and their agents) in the unfortunate position of defending proprietary investments wouldn't feel the need to project their hidebound IT politics onto startups. If you were starting a new org on a shoestring and a dream, would you hitch to the MS Exchange mothership? Doubt it. Hope not.

Oh, so much for that .NET SDK I'm working on... ;-)

Hey, it's a paycheck.

Testing, perhaps. But, it's silly to suggest that everyone jump ship
based on paranoia-soaked projections.

Making no such suggestion. Again, new enterprises start-up all the time, always will. If they're lean and smart, they should laugh my consulting-butt out of the place if I steered them towards Microsoft sharecropping.

And get 'em while they're hot, because they'll all be gone tomorrow!
Right? <vbg>

Hey, I know we're just talkin' here but it's not about the tools, it's really about standard file formats, and schemas (ski-ma-ta?) nobody owns. In a world where DocBook XML, iCal, vCard, SVG, PNG, etc. are where we all land, let the best tool -- commercial or free -- win. That's fair.

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com