Re: what can we do

Subject: Re: what can we do
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:32:04 -0700

What kind of ethics are we talking here folks? Business ethics, personal
ethics, human ethics?

Whether or not there is an open-ended contract, IMHO most people make a
commitment to the employer, but the commitment tends to be looser on the
employer end.

My intuition is that some of the respondents to Tom's message might be
employers and tend to take at least some of that perspective, no matter
how "enlightened" they are. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be an
employer (or at least able not to be an employee), and I know there can
be times when a company has to make difficult decisions. But I'd prefer
to be, or work for, a company that doesn't make such decisions lightly.
It doesn't sound like this was such a situation (though you never know,
companies can be incredibly stupid).

The open-ended contract is, statistically speaking, a joke.

Kathleen