Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT

Subject: Re: Why should I be worried about the merger? NOT
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:43:00 -0400

> I have to agree with Judd on this. It's time that we stop accepting what
> is thrown at us and start asserting our demands. Companies like Adobe
> respond only to market forces (whether real or perceived), and we are a
> market force if we act collectively. If TWs make their demands known, as a
> group, Adobe will respond.

I don't believe it'll ever happen. We're very small fish in the very
big Adobe pond.

> As you can see, if Adobe does not provide the information that I, as a
> customer, need to plan my future, I intend to cease ALL business with
> them, because every product they sell has competitors. I will also use
> whatever influence I have to get others to do the same.

This is the nature of competition. They already know this. I would
expect a response to the tune of "OK, Bye."

> Now I admit that one letter won't do a thing to change Adobe's mind, even
> when talking the number of dollars involved here. However, if Adobe were
> to start receiving hundreds, or even thousands of such itemized letters,
> we would have their undivided attention. Even if my case does yield a
> somewhat high figure, some quick math reveals that even a thousand letters
> times half this dollar amount equals $3,577,500. Remember, Adobe is not
> Microsoft, they do not have unlimited financial resources. The fact that
> they are buying MM shows that they know that they are in trouble. A large
> volume of letters like this would just serve to remind them of that fact.

OK, question time. Will your employers OK the move away from a $100
upgrade to a new purchase and the overhead involved in migrating
content to the new tools?

> As Judd said, we can accept what the market throws at us, or we can
> attempt to steer the market toward our needs. WE have the power to force
> accountability and change, but we must make our voices heard!

Like all those previously successful technical writing tools petitions... ;-)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com