Re: OT: Working in an unsure climate was RE: What Can We Do?

Subject: Re: OT: Working in an unsure climate was RE: What Can We Do?
From: "Barbara Green" <Barbara -dot- Green -at- neonesoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:24:49 -0500

The way to keep the paranoia at bay is to work on your business even when you have work. Line up the next contract, keep in touch with previous customers, update your resume, and watch the job boards. It's administrative, unpaid work, but no one else is going to do it for you.

If you feel secure that you have good something coming up, then you don't worry so much about the current job taking a nosedive. That's true for "permanent" work as well. I've spent about half my career as a contractor, and the other
half as an employee, and I find I do better at managing my career (or business, or whatever noun fits) when I work on contract. Something about the definite end of that tunnel that makes me see the train more clearly. But as others have pointed out, there is nothing really permanent in today's job market, so spending an hour or two a week on career management is not really such a bad idea.

Barbara G.
(employed for the moment)

Kathleen wrote:
Even though standard job contracts (on-going and contract) have these
open-ended release statements, how do people avoid being overcome by
paranoia when they need to keep a constant eye out?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com