RE: How do you maintain dynamic material

Subject: RE: How do you maintain dynamic material
From: "Tammy Cravit" <tammy -at- wordsofwonder -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:49:39 -0700

Kate wrote,

> We currently use a wiki (twiki) to maintain up-to-date
> information for our support staff. It is possible to restrict
> editing capability to only a certain subset of users. This
> does not prevent all users from viewing the information.

I think the wiki concept is a great one for documentation projects,
especially those where collaboration is important, or where linking of
information is valuable. I use DokuWiki
(http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki) for several documentation
projects, which is described by the author as "a standards compliant, simple
to use Wiki, mainly aimed at creating documentation of any kind."

There also exist converters to transform Microsoft Word files to DokuWiki
markup
(http://www.wakatara.com/blog/index.php/archives/2005/01/17/on-collaborative
-simplicity-and-the-word2dokuwiki-macro/) and to convert
OpenOffice/StarOffice to
DokuWiki(http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/).

Tammy

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l