Re: Online Installation Guide

Subject: Re: Online Installation Guide
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:09:44 -0400

Oh, I have had my fair share of destructive installs. But what you're
talking about is troubleshooting and not install. ;-)

And as in my other reply, yes we do OLH for installers but also have
other means of providing install info to the users.

But if an installer hoses my machine, I don't look for a
troubleshooting guide. I find the closest rep for that app's company
and make their life a living hell until my situation is fixed (and if
they're in choking distance, all the better!).

;-)

Really, any application that hoses a machine ON INSTALL obviously
wasn't tested NEARLY enough to be released to the public. No
troubleshooting steps can make up for THAT moronic mistake. The
company deservs to be called to task for shipping a hunk of junk to a
paying customer.

On 4/29/05, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:
> If you've never had the experience of having an installer
> drop something into your system that bolluxed up your
> restart but could be easily corrected by bypassing the
> startup files and then deleting something from the registry,
> be happy. I have, and having a printed troubleshooting
> guide that included installation issues handy was a lifesaver.
> Sure, you could put it on a CD, but not every user for every
> product is going to have a spare computer handy to look
> at it with.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com