Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:09:12 -0400

> Managers want to see all their buzzwords on Page One.

Not this manager.

> So candidates tailor the resumes for each job description, no matter how
> bizarre the job description may be.

As it should be. I've always done this throughout my entire career.

> Often the resume is edited in non-ideal conditions (like on the job, maybe not at
> your own computer).

Um, I don't want to hire someone who uses their employer's time to
look for another job. If I caught anyone doing that in my group, I'd
hope they made some progress by the time I found out, because they'd
need the lead time.

> So I could easily forgive a few non-critical glitches in the resume -
> just like you would forgive minor errors in a two-hour rush job you
> might assign to one of your writers.

See my post in which I mention crooked ties and messy hair.

> Also note that recruiters often rewrite candidate resumes.

Which is why I don't accept resumes from recruiters when hiring or use
recruiters in my own job hunt.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com