Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:11:09 -0400

> Let's recap:
>
> I said that if I had a position I needed to fill and few candidates to
> fill it, I would interview a candidate who gave me a resume that had minor
> errors in it.
>
> You said you would never lower your standards. Which I assumed meant you
> would never hire someone with a flawed resume (since that's the topic
> we're discussing).

Well, assumptions are a dangerous thing, Chris. They make an "ass" out
of "u" and "me". ;-)

Through the benefits of Gmail I have re-read our posts and I do not
see where I said any of the things in response to the items you
reference. Yes, I said I would not lower my standards, but that was in
response to the number of candidates I have resumes for, not the flaws
which may exist on a resume.

My point was precisely that I do not pick the best candidate out of
the group of resumes I have. If no one meets my expectations, I
discard the whole lot of resumes I have and I broaden my search.

As Gene indicated, there is hardly a shortage of candidates.

> I replied that my standards are based on getting the best end results and
> that I'm flexible in who I'll hire to help me get things done. I also
> wondered how it's possible for you to get good candidates to interview if
> your hiring standards are so inflexible (my guess is there are a lot of
> writers in your area so you have the luxury of being picky).

Well, again, you completely took all my comments out of context and
reordered them to fit your argument. I have no response to this.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com