RE: IETMs

Subject: RE: IETMs
From: "Bill Trippe" <btrippe -at- nmpub -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 20:49:44 -0400

Mike Johnson wrote:

>1. Where can I get more information about IETMs? (Interactive Electronic
>Technical Manuals?)

I think the best starting point is a Naval Sea Systems Command web site:

http://www.dt.navy.mil/tot-shi-sys/tec-inf-sys/etm/

>2. Are IETMs published to a single file?

Generally speaking, no. They are usually implemented as a collection of
files, or a collection of file objects that are then managed by some kind of
repository. Think a bunch of SGML or XML files for the text, with
individual files for the graphics and other media objects.

>3. Do you need a viewer to look at an IETM?

Generally speaking, yes, you need one of several proprietary viewers for the
most complex IETMs. But IETMs are a spectrum of technologies, from simple
page turners (think Acrobat, or a browser) to complex platforms that are
tightly integrated to maintenance systems, equipment diagnostics, and other
technologies.

Hope this helps!

Bill

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l