Tracking documents, files, and updates

Subject: Tracking documents, files, and updates
From: "Monforton, Margaret" <mmmonfor -at- bf -dot- umich -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:12:17 -0400

I work in a team that provides technical training and documentation to
an administrative and IT division. Our group manages the Intranet for
our division, internal learning initiatives, and procedures and
standards.

All in all, we have hundreds of deliverables (documents, Web pages,
course modules etc.) and many of those deliverables have graphics and
other types of files associated with them. We primarily want to replace
the myriad spreadsheets that currently track different types of
deliverables AND we want to be able to create reports to predict and
summarize our work activities.

Over the past few months, I've been trying to find a tool that would
fulfill this need. I've searched using the terms "content management"
and "document tracking." I'm not sure these tools are what we need,
though, because we don't need to a tool to house our content, and we may
or may not want to use a check-in/check-out system. Rather than find a
pre-existing tool, we're planning to develop a database to track our
deliverables, their standard update cycles, and work the development and
update work that we do on them. Before we do, I'd like to find out if
there ARE existing tools and I'm just not finding them.

Has anyone been in this situation? How do you keep track of all your
deliverables and the associated files? Am I looking for "document
tracking" software, or is it something else?

Margie Monforton
UM - MAIS EAS Service Delivery
(734) 647-9840
mmmonfor -at- umich -dot- edu