Re: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: Re: What notebook did you buy?
From: Kat Nagel <kat -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 14:45:57 -0400

At 10:46 AM -0700 2005/04/11, Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com wrote:

I need to get a new notebook. It will be my only computer, with backups
to CDs. I will be running the usual techwriting software. I'd really
like to hear from anyone who bought their own laptop to use as a
contractor as to what laptop they bought and how it is working out.

I'm on my third laptop computer. First one, a Powerbook 540c, lasted 7 years (1994-2001) before I outgrew it.

I replaced it with the original Powerbook Titanium in 2001, and upgraded it to OS X over a year ago. It would still be going strong if I hadn't done something incredibly stupid. (Hint: When your adapter cord starts sparking when you disconnect it, replace it immediately. Otherwise it can fry your 'puter's widdle bwain.)

My third laptop is another Powerbook, of course: a 15" G4 with as much RAM as I could afford.

Note: I'm not blind to the Windows world. I've had both Mac and Windows desktop machines over the years, and can do everything I need to do on either platform. But I've heard too many horror stories about reliability failures and terrible tech support for almost all brands of Windows laptop computers. If I ever buy a Windows laptop, it will be custom-made by the same local company where I've purchased my Windows desktop machines for the last 10 years. They make excellent products and provide superb tech support.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com