Re: Online Help Tool - Decision

Subject: Re: Online Help Tool - Decision
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:58:28 -0400

I was recently asked to review a company's documentation and make
recommendation on what tool they should use to create and maintain it.
I made my presentation to them on Friday, at which I recommended a new
process for their documentation, and a new tool.

My recommendations were unanimously accepted and they are in the
process of adopting the changes I recommended. I thought I'd share
with the list my recommendation that they use a single source
documentation tool, with Help and Manual being my recommendation (I
hope they are still a list supporter!). I made this recommendation
after downloading a trial version of their software and ascertaining
that it met my requirements, not just for online help generation, but
also for long documentation print requirements.

I admit to having brought biases with me, I will not use Word, and I
would not consider either Doc2Help or RoboHelp. I considered the
following software packages: AuthorIT, Help and Manual, Help
Scribbler, HelpStudio2, HelpNDoc and Help Dev Studio. It came down to
AuthorIT and Help and Manual.

I'd like to thank everyone who forwarded information and their
opinions to me. If anyone wants to be kept informed on how my
recommended solution works out, let me know; in addition to accepting
my recommendations, the company has asked that I "stick around" this
time for awhile. (Nobody will remember, but I was at this company when
I first joined this list approx 8 years ago or more!)

So I guess I have a job for awhile!

Suzette Leeming
Stouffville, Ontario

PS - If anybody is currently using Help & Manual (nobody ever
responded that they did, when I sent out a request), especially in a
Progress 4GL environment, I'd love to hear from you.

--
The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and
mystery. There is always more mystery.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com