Dissertation research

Subject: Dissertation research
From: "Tiffany Craft Portewig" <tiffany_craft -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 00:00:31 -0500

Hello,

I am a PhD student in Technical Communication and Rhetoric and am looking for volunteers to participate in my dissertation study. My dissertation focuses on understanding the decisions, strategies, and choices technical communicators make when designing visuals (such as graphics, illustrations, screenshots, photographs) for technical documents, both electronic and print. I am interested in interviewing and observing technical communicators in the workplace so I can understand the dynamics of producing technical visuals.

I would like to be on site at your company for at least a week to conduct interviews and observe your processes. I understand the confidentiality of the information you work with, so I am willing to honor any confidentiality agreement your company requires.

My dissertation research has important benefits for the field of technical communication, because it will help us understand the decision making processes that take place when choosing what information to communicate visually. It will help future generations of technical communicators design more effective visual communication in the workplace as well as improve our teaching methods in our courses.

If you are interested in discussing my study further and/or are interested in participating, please contact me off list at tiffany_craft -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
Thank you,

Tiffany Craft Portewig
PhD Candidate
Technical Communication and Rhetoric