Re: PDF bookmarks from Word document

Subject: Re: PDF bookmarks from Word document
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 05:35:42 -0400

Saunders, Ian, VF UK wrote:

Hi,

When I produce a PDF file from a Word document using the Convert to Adobe PDF toolbar icon I get bookmarks. When I create the PDF by printing to a file and then distilling, I do not.

Correct.

Is this a bug/limitation of Word (or Distiller)?

No.

Or is there something obvious that we must do to to create bookmarks the distiller way?

Yes. You must use the PDFMaker macro, which you access using either the toolbar button or the Acrobat menu. Using the menu, you can change the conversion settings, as well.

Simply printing to a PostScript file does not trigger the macro and therefore does not create bookmarks.

Dare I mention that we don't have any such problem using FrameMaker? ;-)

Well, you've gone ahead and mentioned it, haven't you?

However, what you have is not a problem or a bug. It's a value-neutral fact. Different products, designed for different purposes, built on different technologies, based on different metaphors, built by different companies for, initially, different platforms often take different approaches to similar needs. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to learn to use the tools you're given as they are rather than wishing a hammer were a screwdriver or vice versa.

Disgusted, disgusted, you have no complaint.
You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't.
So listen up buster, and listen up good.
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood.
Si-igned Dear Abby

--John Prine

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com