Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:13:40 -0700

I really has been fun lurking on this subject.

Bill and Gene have their fingers right on the pulse of this issue. First,
"mediocre" like so much else, is in the eye of the beholder. Excellence is
sometimes measured by how much expertise you applied within the constraints
of time, money and SME availability in order to achieve company objectives.

They have also pointed out the relative "fit" of the writer in the
environment. If you are in an environment that accepts mediocre and you
don't, change jobs! You have a culture clash! There are lots of places who
crave excellence all the way around, and they are willing to meet you
two-thirds of the way to get it. As has been pointed out, the interview
process is a great time to find out what a company considers good,
excellent, and marginal. Setting expectations up front helps a lot.
Sometimes the word "excellence" is so relative that "show and tell" is the
only way to pinpoint desired results.

We have on occasion (blush) produced quality we weren't happy with, at the
behest of our clients. Our clients were happy with the results, and
importantly, they paid for it (at a time when work of any kind was very
difficult to find). When we were done, we looked for work that fit our
standards better.

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
President