Re: Help vision?

Subject: Re: Help vision?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:21:05 -0400

> At some point in the distant future, humans will have evolved to the
> point where even software developers recognize the need to produce
> usable software. <g> At that point, based on careful study of users,
> they'll produce software that needs only about 10% of the help text we
> currently provide, and that 10% will be fully embedded in the
> interface, perhaps as wizards or other assistants*, thereby eliminating
> what we now consider "online help". Oh yeah... and cats and dogs will
> live together in perfect harmony. <g>

Products will always require documentation, if not on how to use the
product, than legalese around its use. Lawyers paved us a future!
LOL!!!

> <<Are technical writers actively researching the impact of Microsoft's
> vision for help, as documented for the next release of their operating
> system, codenamed Longhorn?>>
>
> The smart ones are. (I don't do much online help these days, so I'm not
> smart. <g>) Personally, I think it's long past time we did away with
> proprietary compiled help formats and stuck with W3C-standard HTML.
> This provides maximum utility, maximum longevity, and minimum
> dependence on proprietary authoring tools or proprietary operating
> system quirks that change from year to year.

Proprietary systems do ensure the content fits the delivery mechanism,
though, and do play well with the intended technologies they interact
with. Open Standards are cool and I applaud the effort, but they have
a long way to go before they are 100% viable as business solutions.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com