RE: Help vision

Subject: RE: Help vision
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:00:30 -0400

Lou Quillio [mailto:public -at- quillio -dot- com] enthusiastically expounded:

> mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com wrote:
> > Has anybody mentioned..... (drumroll, please)... Wicki-wickis?
>
> Oh, man, that's the post I didn't make.
>
> I fired-up my first instance of Instiki today, and let me tell you
> it's sweet. It runs under Ruby-on-Rails, created by the fine folks
> at 37signals.com, who've used it to also bring you BaseCamp
> (basecamphq.com), Backpack (backpackit.com), and Ta-Da Lists
> (tadalist.com), as well as Instiki (instiki.org). These are some of
> the finest, most useful web applications around -- and the devs just
> _happen_ to live at my webhost (TextDrive.com).
>
> Of particular interest to techcomms are Instiki's easy configuration
> and customization, valid and well-formed (thus accessible and
> portable) markup, and native export of zipped HTML (with working
> links), zipped TeX, and PDF.
>
> If you're examining wiki tools, don't leave Instiki out.

Thanks for that. I'll have a separate question in another post...

When I raised the earlier question, I had in mind more of a
general discussion of the Wiki concept and its usefulness for
corporate customer documentation.

I already know that it works impressively for encyclopedia, and for
internal corporate info-sharing. However, in the first instance,
it is wide open and everybody knows it, and takes the found info
with a grain of salt. In the second instance, there is a certain
amount of control over mischievous/malicious editing, so people
are fairly careful about what they write.

It seems to me that most complex, widely used software and
combination (hardware-and-software) products have benefitted
from user groups to supplement the documentation provided by
the producing company.
Does anybody see a way to easily and usefully combine a Wiki
with product documentation, or to replace some/all product
docs with Wiki?

Is it being done by any company, yet, in an integrated fashion?
By that, I mean more integrated than the company happens to
host a Wiki that happens to refer to their product(s).

Kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com